What do Terms and Standards for Flashing Lights Mean in Real Life Video

Written by
Published on
August 24, 2023 at 11:58:16 AM PDT August 24, 2023 at 11:58:16 AM PDTth, August 24, 2023 at 11:58:16 AM PDT

Common terms and standards in New Zealand we hear around flashing lights and worklights include:

  •  SAE Class 1
  •  SAE Class 2
  •  SAE Class 3
  •  CISPR 15
  •  EMC
  •  R65
  •  Transit approved
  •  Radio interference free and so on...

    What do these terms mean?

    EMC and CISPER15 refer to radio interference, which is where an electrical product interferes with a radio signal and causes static noise, or even interrupts the radio signal. This can not only be very annoying, but potentially very dangerous especially if there is interference with the radio signals on an emergency vehicle. It is important to ensure your flashing lights or work lights meet the EMC or CISPR15 standard.

    SAE Class 1, SAE Class 2, SAE Class 3 or R65 standards are related to things like the light output like how bright the light is and how the light is dispersed. TransQuip is often asked if a flashing light is "Transit approved?" The NZTA rule is quite general but we recommend if you are working on the road to use a flashing light that meets SAE Class 1 or R65. This is because these are bright enough to be seen from quite a distance whereas a SAE class 2 or 3 lights are a lot dimmer. Stick with the SAE Class 1 or R65 and you are covered.

    Please note this is not legal advice and while we endeavour keep abreast of our industries requirements, it is subject to change...